Hi, I am Rita Rosenback, the author of “Bringing up a Bilingual Child” and the blogger on this site. Children and languages are my passion, and I have written my book for parents and carers in families with more than one language. It is an easy-to-read guide with practical advice for parents raising bilingual children. The book’s subtitle “Navigating the seven Cs of multilingual parenting: Communication, Confidence, Commitment, Consistency, Creativity, Culture and Celebration” lists the core components of successfully passing on a family language to the next generation. In addition to the down-to-earth hints and tips I also tell you about my family’s journey and how my daughters acquired their languages. The Special Edition contains two additional chapters – the first one list ideas on how to engage your child to speak your language and the second is a list of encouraging thoughts for when you need them the most. Buying the Special Edition also gives you access to additional resources on the website.
- 23/02/2015 Multilingual Parenting hosts the February Raising Multilingual Children Blogging Carnival with the topic: “Expecting a Bilingual Baby”
- 21/02/2015 Marianna's from Bilingual Avenue and Rita’s broadcast on the topic of “Bilingual School Children and Teenagers” and answer viewer questions.
- 21/02/2015 BBC Radio Derby: Rita participates in the morning breakfast show in the occasion of the International Mother Language Day
- 28/01/2015 Isabelle from Expat Lang – Multilingual Café reviews Rita’s book “Bringing up a Bilingual Child”
- 17/02/2015 The Slovak translation of “12 things parents of bilingual children need to know” published
- 20/01/2015 Marianna from Bilingual Avenue interviews Rita for her podcast.
- 20/01/2015 Milestone! Multilingual Parenting reaches 500 000 views – thank you everyone!
- 11/12/2014 Ilze from Let the Journey Begin reviews Rita’s book “Bringing up a Bilingual Child”
- 01/12/2014 Miss Panda Chinese interviews Rita for her blog.
- 26/11/2014 Adam from Bilingual Monkeys reviews Rita’s book “Bringing up a Bilingual Child”
- 22/11/2014 Finn-Guild event, Newcastle: Rita speaks to a group of Finnish/English parents and answers their questions about raising bilingual children
- 17/11/2014 The Romanian translation of “12 things parents of bilingual children need to know” published
- 13/11/2014 The Finnish translation of “12 things parents of bilingual children need to know” published
- 10/11/2014 Sri Guru Singh Sabha Gurdwara, Derby: Rita speaks to parents about raising their children to become active Punjabi speakers
- 05/11/2014 Rita’s article “Parents Raising Questions about Bilingual Children” published in the Migrant Woman magazine
- 30/10/2014 The Ukrainian translation of “12 things parents of bilingual children need to know” published
- 29/10/2014 First installment of the series “From the diary of a bilingual mother”
- 13/10/2014 The Greek and Irish translations of “12 things parents of bilingual children need to know” published
- 08/10/2014 International Norwegian School Conference, London: Rita gives a speech “Bilingual Students”
- 20/09/2014 The Swedish translation of “12 things parents of bilingual children need to know” published
- 19/09/2014 The Italian and Spanish translations of “12 things parents of bilingual children need to know” published
- 16/09/2014 The Estonian translation of “12 things parents of bilingual children need to know” published
- 15/09/2014 The Czech and French translations of “12 things parents of bilingual children need to know” published
- 31/08/2014 The Catalan and German translations of “12 things parents of bilingual children need to know” published
- 30/08/2014 The Chinese (trad), Chinese (simpl) and Portuguese (Brazil) translations of "12 things parents of bilingual children need to know” published
- 12/08/2014 Multilingual Parenting hosts the August Multicultural Kids Blogging Carnival with the topic: “Fun ways for kids to learn new vocabulary”
- 24/06/2014 BBC Radio Derby: Sally Pepper interviews Rita about her book and blog.
- 20/06/2014 Special Edition of "Bringing up a Bilingual Child" on sale now!
- 14/06/2014 "Bringing up a Bilingual Child" book launch event at the Globe Academy in London.
- 14/06/2014 Aleena Naylor interviews Rita for BBC Radio Derby.
- 12/06/2014 Standard edition of "Bringing up a Bilingual Child" now on sale at Amazon.
- 09/06/2014 Rita being interviewed by her daughter Daniela here.
- 30/05/2014 Fellow blogger Maria Babin interviews Rita on her blog, Trilingual Mama.
- 30/05/2014 Rita’s post Traveling – for real or virtually – is great for kids’ cultural and language awareness on Multicultural Kids Blog.
- 25/05/2014 Multilingual Parenting is the host for May edition of the Raising Multilingual Children Blogging Carnival, topic: How technology can help you bring up a bilingual child.
- 15/05/2014 The impressive Pentagon Hall of the Globe Academy is chosen as the venue for the Book Launch event on Saturday, 14th of June .
- 05/05/2014 Multilingual Parenting is proud to present its new logo.
- 30/04/2014 The www.multilingualparenting.com has been viewed for a quarter of a million times!
- 19/03/2014 Announcement: Rita’s book “Bringing up Bilingual Child” will be out in June. Subtitle “How to Navigate the Seven Cs of Multilingual Parenting: Communication, Confidence, Commitment, Consistency, Creativity, Culture and Celebration”.
- 19/02/2014 Fellow blogger Olena Centeno interviews Rita for her podcast series.
From the blog
- Minority language at home – mL@H: use it if you can!
- Last week’s post was about the more popular of the bilingual family language strategies: one parent/person, one language or simply OPOL as it is generally know. This week it is the turn of the approach called minority language at home, with the slightly more complicated acronym of mL@H. As the name indicates, a family that [...]
- One parent, one language – OPOL is dead, long live OPOL!
- Which strategy should you use to raise your bilingual child? Ask the question and you can be forgiven for getting all confused with the different viewpoints you are offered both by experts and other parents. Today I will take a closer look at the best-known of the family language strategies: one parent, one language, aka [...]
- 12 things parents raising bilingual children need to know
- This post is also available in the following languages (click on the picture to read the post). More translations to follow: 1 – It doesn’t happen by magic Children do not become bilingual “by magic”. There is a persistent myth claiming that “children [...]
- Time and place – T&P as a family language strategy
- When raising a bilingual child, it is always good to plan ahead so that everyone is clear about who is going to speak what language in the family when the new baby arrives. This post is the third post in my series of different approaches parents can take if they decide to bring their child [...]
Your questions answered
by Our Coaches
- Q&A: Changing the family language strategy
- Question Hi! We are a Swedish-Austrian family living in Sweden. Our children are 4.5 and 3 years old and are both born in Austria. We moved to Sweden 2 years ago. We chose the OPOL strategy since we were living in Austria at the beginning and my husband did not speak much Swedish at the [...]