Hi, I am Rita Rosenback, the author of “Bringing up a Bilingual Child” and the blogger on this site. Children and languages are my passion, and I have written my book for parents and carers in families with more than one language. It is an easy-to-read guide with practical advice for parents raising bilingual children. The book’s subtitle “Navigating the seven Cs of multilingual parenting: Communication, Confidence, Commitment, Consistency, Creativity, Culture and Celebration” lists the core components of successfully passing on a family language to the next generation. In addition to the down-to-earth hints and tips I also tell you about my family’s journey and how my daughters acquired their languages. The Special Edition contains two additional chapters – the first one list ideas on how to engage your child to speak your language and the second is a list of encouraging thoughts for when you need them the most. Buying the Special Edition also gives you access to additional resources on the website.
- 20/06/2014 Special Edition of "Bringing up a Bilingual Child" on sale now!
- 14/06/2014 "Bringing up a Bilingual Child" book launch event at the Globe Academy in London.
- 14/06/2014 Aleena Naylor interviews Rita for BBC Radio Derby.
- 12/06/2014 Standard edition of "Bringing up a Bilingual Child" now on sale at Amazon.
- 9/06/2014 Rita being interviewed by her daughter Daniela here.
- 30/05/2014 Fellow blogger Maria Babin interviews Rita on her blog, Trilingual Mama.
- 30/05/2014 Rita’s post Traveling – for real or virtually – is great for kids’ cultural and language awareness on Multicultural Kids Blog.
- 25/05/2014 Multilingual Parenting is the host for May edition of the Raising Multilingual Children Blogging Carnival.
- 15/05/2014 The impressive Pentagon Hall of the Globe Academy is chosen as the venue for the Book Launch event on Saturday, 14th of June .
- 05/05/2014 Multilingual Parenting is proud to present its new logo.
- 30/04/2014 The www.multilingualparenting.com has been viewed for a quarter of a million times!
- 19/03/2014 Announcement: Rita’s book “Bringing up Bilingual Child” will be out in June. Subtitle “How to Navigate the Seven Cs of Multilingual Parenting: Communication, Confidence, Commitment, Consistency, Creativity, Culture and Celebration”.
- 19/02/2014 Fellow blogger Olena Centeno interviews Rita for her podcast series.
From the blog
- From the diary of a bilingual mother, part 5
- Further diary entries from the 100% fictional but totally real mother living with the ups and downs of raising bilingual children in a new home country. Monday Only two weeks to go now! All the gifts have been ordered – fingers crossed everything arrives in time – especially the rest of the books. I love [...]
- 7 encouraging thoughts for parents of bilingual children
- Bringing up a child to speak more than one language is not an easy task. There are days when we need all the encouragement we can find to keep going. So I asked parents what they would like to say to other mothers and fathers of bilingual children – and here is a selection of [...]
- Bilingual siblings
- Your first-born is on the way to become bilingual – you are so happy to see that both languages are progressing well. You have managed to arrange enough exposure for both languages and look forward to repeating the “procedure” with your next child. It should not be any different, should it? Well, it is and [...]
Your questions answered
by Our Coaches
- Q&A: Watching cartoons in different languages – good or bad for bilingual children?
- Question I am Egyptian so I speak Arabic and my husband is Italian. We speak together in English but we don’t speak English with our son. In his daycare they use English and Arabic and a little French. My 3 year-old son is speaking both but he is much, much better at using Arabic – [...]