Hi, I am Rita Rosenback, the author of “Bringing up a Bilingual Child” and the blogger on this site. Children and languages are my passion, and I have written my book for parents and carers in families with more than one language. It is an easy-to-read guide with practical advice for parents raising bilingual children. The book’s subtitle “Navigating the seven Cs of multilingual parenting: Communication, Confidence, Commitment, Consistency, Creativity, Culture and Celebration” lists the core components of successfully passing on a family language to the next generation. In addition to the down-to-earth hints and tips I also tell you about my family’s journey and how my daughters acquired their languages. The Special Edition contains two additional chapters – the first one list ideas on how to engage your child to speak your language and the second is a list of encouraging thoughts for when you need them the most. Buying the Special Edition also gives you access to additional resources on the website.
- 20/06/2014 Special Edition of "Bringing up a Bilingual Child" on sale now!
- 14/06/2014 "Bringing up a Bilingual Child" book launch event at the Globe Academy in London.
- 14/06/2014 Aleena Naylor interviews Rita for BBC Radio Derby.
- 12/06/2014 Standard edition of "Bringing up a Bilingual Child" now on sale at Amazon.
- 9/06/2014 Rita being interviewed by her daughter Daniela here.
- 30/05/2014 Fellow blogger Maria Babin interviews Rita on her blog, Trilingual Mama.
- 30/05/2014 Rita’s post Traveling – for real or virtually – is great for kids’ cultural and language awareness on Multicultural Kids Blog.
- 25/05/2014 Multilingual Parenting is the host for May edition of the Raising Multilingual Children Blogging Carnival.
- 15/05/2014 The impressive Pentagon Hall of the Globe Academy is chosen as the venue for the Book Launch event on Saturday, 14th of June .
- 05/05/2014 Multilingual Parenting is proud to present its new logo.
- 30/04/2014 The www.multilingualparenting.com has been viewed for a quarter of a million times!
- 19/03/2014 Announcement: Rita’s book “Bringing up Bilingual Child” will be out in June. Subtitle “How to Navigate the Seven Cs of Multilingual Parenting: Communication, Confidence, Commitment, Consistency, Creativity, Culture and Celebration”.
- 19/02/2014 Fellow blogger Olena Centeno interviews Rita for her podcast series.
From the blog
- 12 lucruri pe care trebuie să le știe părinții care își cresc copiii bilingvi
- 1 – Nu se întâmplă ca prin farmec Copiii nu devin bilingvi ca prin farmec. Cu toții am auzit de mitul conform căruia copiii sunt ca niște bureți când vine vorba de limbaj și că sunt capabili să învețe orice limbă la care sunt expuși în mod regulat; acest lucru nu este adevărat. Bineînțeles, în [...]
- From the diary of a bilingual mother, part 3
- Monday I really can’t sing … but I want my daughter to hear the songs my mum sung to me when I was little, so I do it anyway. D does fall asleep a lot quicker when I sing to her, but maybe she just pretends to sleep so she doesn’t have to listen that [...]
- From the diary of a bilingual mother, part 4
- Another installment from the totally fictional, but still real diary of a bilingual mother. Monday Only less than a month to Christmas! When did that happen? Last year I promised myself to be organised and arrange all presents well in time … and here we go again. I want to find some new toys for the [...]
Your questions answered
by Our Coaches
- Q&A: What to do about bilingual teenagers mixing languages?
- Question: Our children have grown up learning both family languages and they are now teenagers. We are happy they can speak both languages, but are horrified by how much they mix the languages when they speak to each other. When they speak to people who only speak one of the languages, they do manage to [...]