Hi, I am Rita Rosenback, the author of “Bringing up a Bilingual Child” and the blogger on this site. Children and languages are my passion, and I have written my book for parents and carers in families with more than one language. It is an easy-to-read guide with practical advice for parents raising bilingual children. The book’s subtitle “Navigating the seven Cs of multilingual parenting: Communication, Confidence, Commitment, Consistency, Creativity, Culture and Celebration” lists the core components of successfully passing on a family language to the next generation. In addition to the down-to-earth hints and tips I also tell you about my family’s journey and how my daughters acquired their languages. The Special Edition contains two additional chapters – the first one list ideas on how to engage your child to speak your language and the second is a list of encouraging thoughts for when you need them the most. Buying the Special Edition also gives you access to additional resources on the website.
- 20/06/2014 Special Edition of "Bringing up a Bilingual Child" on sale now!
- 14/06/2014 "Bringing up a Bilingual Child" book launch event at the Globe Academy in London.
- 14/06/2014 Aleena Naylor interviews Rita for BBC Radio Derby.
- 12/06/2014 Standard edition of "Bringing up a Bilingual Child" now on sale at Amazon.
- 9/06/2014 Rita being interviewed by her daughter Daniela here.
- 30/05/2014 Fellow blogger Maria Babin interviews Rita on her blog, Trilingual Mama.
- 30/05/2014 Rita’s post Traveling – for real or virtually – is great for kids’ cultural and language awareness on Multicultural Kids Blog.
- 25/05/2014 Multilingual Parenting is the host for May edition of the Raising Multilingual Children Blogging Carnival.
- 15/05/2014 The impressive Pentagon Hall of the Globe Academy is chosen as the venue for the Book Launch event on Saturday, 14th of June .
- 05/05/2014 Multilingual Parenting is proud to present its new logo.
- 30/04/2014 The www.multilingualparenting.com has been viewed for a quarter of a million times!
- 19/03/2014 Announcement: Rita’s book “Bringing up Bilingual Child” will be out in June. Subtitle “How to Navigate the Seven Cs of Multilingual Parenting: Communication, Confidence, Commitment, Consistency, Creativity, Culture and Celebration”.
- 19/02/2014 Fellow blogger Olena Centeno interviews Rita for her podcast series.
From the blog
- Bilingual children: 7 reasons why it may not happen
- Parents who want to bring up their kids to speak more than one language can learn a lot from families who have been successful at bringing up bilingual children. However, I also think that a great deal can be learnt from those parents whose children grew up to be monolingual, as well as from adults [...]
Your questions answered
by Our Coaches
- Q&A: The trilingual family
- Question My children are learning three languages, because my husband is English, he, of course, speaks English to them; I am Mexican and speak Spanish, and we live in Italy. I only speak Spanish to them, but only speak English to my husband. They go to childcare, and that’s the place where they are learning [...]